Adding Keywords or Targets
The keywords or targets you add to your campaign, in addition to the bids you place, will determine when and where your creative(s) will appear.
TIP: To target the impressions you want (and avoid paying for impressions you didn't want!), learn how your keywords or targets will match and follow our best practices before adding keywords/targets to your campaign.
How Keywords and Targets Work
Keyword and target matching works differently for each campaign type. Understanding the process is essential to building a successful campaign.
Our system scans the text on websites our users visit. If a word or phrase on the page matches one of your keywords (or a variation of your keyword), the keyword is eligible for the impression. The keyword that wins the impression will appear as a uniquely styled link that leads to your landing page.
InText keywords are stemming match and will match your keyword's root word and other variations.
Pops and Display
There are four types of targets on Pops, two of which are also on Display: keyword (also called "path"), domain, category, and run of network. Keyword targets match URLs, while domain targets match root domains, subdomains, and the full URL path. If you're targeting a word, phrase, or a URL that is longer than a subdomain, it must be added as a keyword. Root domains and subdomains can be added as keywords or domains.
Category and run of network targets are only available on Pops. Category targets are organized by our most popular niches and match on sites related to the category or subcategory you target, while run of network targets match all traffic.
Keyword targets are broad match, so if you are targeting a keyword phrase like "online dating" (without quotes), both "online" and "dating" would need to appear in the same URL, in any order, for the target to match.
On Display, you can choose a creative size and placement to define which type of ad shows up and where it is shown when the target is served an impression.
How to Add Keywords or Targets to Your Campaign
You can add or edit your keywords or targets at any time. If you're creating a new campaign and have already customized its settings and added creatives, RTX Platform will take you directly to your Keyword or Targets tab, and you can skip to step 3. If you're adding keywords or targets to an existing campaign, start with step 1.
- Log into your RTX Platform account, then click the InText, Pops, or Display tab in the navigation bar from any page.
- From the left sidebar, click the campaign that corresponds with the keyword(s) or target(s) you're adding, then click the "Keywords" or "Targets" tab.
- If you've already added keywords or targets to your campaign, they will appear on the screen. To add new keywords or targets, click the "Add Keywords" or "Add Targets" button above the table.
- For Pops campaigns, select either "Keywords", "Domains", "Categories", or "Run of Network" from the dropdown.
- For Display campaigns, select either "Keywords" or "Domains" from the dropdown.
- If you are entering keywords or targets manually, type or paste them into the text box with each one on a new line. You can also add Recommended Keywords or Targets right from this screen, or upload keywords or targets from a CSV.
- For Display campaigns, select where you want your creative to appear when the target(s) you're adding win an impression (Above the Fold or Any Available), and select what size creative you want shown when those target(s) win an impression (728x90, 300x250, or any available).
NOTE: When adding Display targets, make sure to only select a creative size if your campaign has an enabled, approved creative with those dimensions. If you select a creative size that you do not have in your campaign, or if it's paused, archived, pending approval, or rejected, the target(s) associated with that creative size will not be eligible for impressions.
Many keywords and targets are approved or rejected on the spot, while others are reviewed manually by our team during normal business hours (Monday - Friday, 9AM - 5PM EST except holidays). While they're in the approval queue, the Status column will say "Pending" and you'll get an email listing any keywords or targets that we manually reject.
Our system automatically rejects keywords and targets that are too long-tail to receive traffic, but many others are blacklisted for a variety of compliance-related reasons. If you're unsure why something was automatically rejected, just ask and we'll fill you in.
Your keywords and targets are set to the default bid you specified in your Campaign Settings, unless you specified different bids when you added the keywords or targets to your campaign.
You can update bids individually or in bulk from your Keywords or Targets tab. To change a single bid, just click the bid on your Keywords or Targets table to render the field editable, then enter the new bid for the keyword or target.
You can also select multiple keywords or targets using the checkboxes next to each one, or select all keywords/targets using the top-most checkbox. Once you've selected the keywords you'd like to update, select "Change CPC Bid" (InText), "Change CPV Bid" (Pops), or "Change CPM Bid" (Display) and enter the new bid.
Placing Your Best Bid
There are a variety of tools built into RTX Platform to help you place the best bid for your buck. Smart Bids and Bid Graphs work together on InText, Pops, and Display to help you get good volume without overpaying.